Cut by Wolfgang Puck and Montigo Resort; my wife's birthday weekend

Wife turns a year older and I've got to outdo myself.


I'd been planning her birthday surprise for months.
The hardest part was just keeping it underwraps, was dying to spill the beans.
And of course there was the anxiety in case she didn't like what was planned; can't really turn back once you get on the boat.

Brought her to Cut by Wolfgang Puck at Marina Bay Sands Singapore.

She'd been dying to try it for awhile, but I'd been resistant. 

My last encounter with a Puck restaurant was in Universal City Walk, LA (Wolfgang Puck Bistro); where I had an average pizza in an average setting at a not so average price.
Was beginning to think Puck's overhyped.
Had to google the name of the restaurant and oh... it's now closed, no surprise.
Anyway back to Cut; but first I had to show up with flowers, cuz bitches love flowers.

Got a lovely bouquet from windflowerflorist.com. Fellahs if you're looking to spoil your girl, I would highly recommend these. These flowers spoil market one.

While walking around like a jilted guy stood up by his date, I had many jealous stares. Made me feel special.
windflowerflorist
A woman literally stopped me and asked where I got these
Wife was pleased and suitably impressed by my impeccable taste.


Posing for a picture, otherwise how would the world know I'm treating her right

In Cut, I was on the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum, but it's not my first foray in an expensive restaurant so I was equipped for the following exchange:

"Here's our drinks menu. Would you like to order some drinks before we begin? Champagne?"
"No, thanks. Water, please... Tap"


I once paid 4 pounds for water in Dinner by Heston in London. Never again.
Good decisions come from experience; experience comes from bad decisions.

Ordered a set dinner with crab cakes and sirloin steak for myself. My wife had the Japanese wagyu ribeye.


Crab cakes. Fancy...
The steaks were perfectly fine but I wouldn't say mind blowing.


Japanese wagyu, plating in a very Japanese minimalist style.
Because sides cost extra.
Complimentary dessert for the birthday girl!
Initially planned to go look at the installations at the night festival, but we're pushing close to 30 and it was almost 9.30pm.

The Actual Surprise
Right, this part's the actual surprise, she'd already known about the dinner plans.

What she didn't know was that we were headed to Batam the next day for a short stay at the Montigo Resort.

Arranged for my mother in law to send her to the ferry terminal as I had to work in the morning.
Met up at the terminal and we were whisked over to our weekend getaway.

Initial impressions were positive.
Lobby decor was nice.
Its beach club looked fun


Tree and skylight found in the lobby
Insert inspirational quote
Tiigo beach club in the day


When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence
breakfast spread was good
Then we finally got to the room. I got a one bed room studio since it was just me and my wife. I know most people go in bigger groups and most of their villas are 2-3 bedrooms. The studio rooms are new and in a more "undeveloped" part of the resort. Construction was still going on for a few of the rooms. The hedges are not planted yet and with a recent downpour it looks like a mudslide.

Definitely not what I want to see when I look out from my pool
This resulted in an unpleasant stay. The room was sandy, my feet felt dirty walking around the room barefoot. Sand had gotten into the pool and the jets don't seem to turn on. The room itself was also spartanly finished, very unlike the pictures on their website.

Had initially thought the room with a private pool offered good value at 350 SGD. However that was before taxes. Plus the cost of the ferry transfer for 2 people 2 way, it came to about 500 SGD. 

Suddenly it does not seem very enticing. And it suddenly hit me, for that price, I could have stayed at W hotel Sentosa, and would probably be happier for it. 
As before, good decisions come from experience, experience comes from bad decisions. Never again.

The next day we checked out but before going home, we headed over to the Batam Cable Ski Park, which pretty much saved the weekend.

Way cheaper than a full day at the East Coast cable skii park. was 55 SGD per person for half a day pass, about 4 hours.

It's been awhile since we last went cable skiing.
But she's still got it



Ended the weekend with take away from wingstop at Vivocity, chilling at home watching Fresh Off the Boat

For more of my adventures, follow me

Comments

Popular Posts