Remembrance of Earth' Past; A Review of Existing Literature

Having read the Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy, I am awe struck and simply need an outlet for my emotions. So I guess you're it. You, my dear reader, possibly 1 of 10 in the world.
If you've read my earlier post, you'll know I'm an avid sci-fi reader.
You probably have not, but now you know.

Remembrance of Earth's Past 3 books are
The Three Body Problem
The Dark Forest
Death's End

Written by Liu Cixin, apparently a superstar in the Chinese sci-fi world, and I guess now an international star after this trilogy was translated.

This trilogy was epic in scale, a melding of hard science fiction and a space opera.

Like the protaganist in the final book, scaling the "ladder of responsibility". The three books progressively widen in their breadth and perspective.

----Spoiler Alert----

The first books sets up the scene.
Alien contact is made and Earth's location has been compromised. The alien world is in constant flux, they need to escape and they have their sights set on Earth.

The second book is my favourite.
Faced with a technologically more advanced foe, Earth has to come up with some pretty cunning plans.
As cunning as fox with a PhD in cunning from Oxford University, and it can't wait till next time. This is as they say, "it".
It's MAD.

The third book is a bit more space opera-ish.
Deterrence has failed and the proverbial nukes are launched. Alien world is destroyed. Earth is exposed and bunkering down.
Without spoiling too much, the ending kinda reminded me of Tau Zero by Poul Anderson

---Spoiler Alert----

I left out a lot details, and the fun is in the details. His work is imaginative and refreshing.
Prose is a little odd, not sure if it's the translator's problem or it just doesn't translate nicely. Prose feels stilted.
It's also a bit sino centric which I guess should not be surprising, but it's nice to acknowledge that USA does not represent the whole world.

Do yourself a favour and go read it!

PS
I also read abit about the translator Ken Liu.
He has a short story that apparently won the Nebula, World Sci Fi and Hugo awards. Free link here.
He also collaborated on the anthology From A Certain Point of View (Star Wars) the Sith of Datawork, which is quite unique, telling the story of a logistic officer on the star destroyer.

Comments

Popular Posts