Bali 2018 Part 1; Kuta and Seminyak

Here you can vicariously experience the 3 awesome days I had in Kuta, Bali.
Bali is the bomb!
Why has it taken so long for me to get here?! If onlyI could do my honeymoon again, this is where it's at man.


Day 1:
Checking in too early at Hardrock Hotel, as I usually do due to early flights, my room wasn't ready so had a couple of hours to burn

We went hunting so we could feast on a wild boar!

Actually we had babi guling, close enough...

We were lucky to find this little hole in the wall tucked in an alley between 2 hotels.
The store looks plain and unassuming.
It's where the locals eat, so you know that food gotta be legit.


babi guling nasi campur
When a man is bored of nasi campur babi guling, he is bored of life
Their nasi campur (mixed rice) was this medley of savoury and spicy flavours, pork cooked in a myriad of ways, from roasted to deep friend. 
I miss it everyday. Babi guling to me is what winning the 2002 world cup was to Ronaldo (the fat one).



While waiting for our room to be ready, just lazing by the pool. The rooms in Hardrock is pretty meh, but the pool is something different, in fact the pool is the reason we chose to stay at the Hardrock
Hard rock Hardrock hotel Bali




It's even got a little beach


ooh a siren, careful sailors
Just being lame, piggybacking around the pool


In the afternoon we went for our surf lessons. Kuta beach had some gnarly waves, I think. I'm a city boy, not sure how gnarly waves look like.
There were many groups at Kuta beach offering surf lessons and rentals, they didnt seem dodgy or anything but I'm the kind of guy who prefers to prebook these sorts of things. This time I went with Odysseys Surf School.

about to fall off the board


also about to fall off the board

In the evening we went to Fat Chow this hip little asian fusion kinda place. 

Loved the decor, loved the food even more. It's a mix of asian dishes, Chinese, Indonesian, Thai. The standout for me are these little fried garlic/ onion bits that they have in a little container that you can sprinkle on anything! Not the healthiest, but hey nothing a little medicine can't take care of. I'm a real doctor.


We didn't have much here though, shared a plate of black pepper pork belly and beef rendang as we had planned to go try another babi guling diner.

Made our long trek to Warung Babi Guling Bu Dayu Kuta  for their nasi campur babi guling. Lines were long, lots of locals, but just couldn't beat the one we had in the morning, meat was a little dry, the spices were a little bland. 

Day 2:

So I booked the 2 day surf package because I didn't think we would manage to stand on the first day. Big mistake.
After the first day of surfing, essentially doing burpees for 2 hours, really just wanted to laze somewhere.

Headed out to Seminyak to Potato Head Beach Club. Took a cab, traffic in Bali is like parking in San Fran, absolutely terrible.

potato head bali seminyak


Potato head Bali logo seminyak


colourful sandals potato head bali seminyak




lots of bikini clad ladies, but my focus was just on my wife
Had the "bells and whistle". 
Didn't get a seat so just sat down by the pool watching the sunset with cocktail in hand.

so my wife's not embarrassed dancing by herself

Dinner was at Warung Nia, food was ok, wouldn't recommend it thought, a little pricey felt it was targeted at tourists. Pretty meh, would give it a miss.





Day 3:
Morning, went in search of babi guling again, all the stores weren't open, the one we had the first day was closed for some festivities. Tried Made's Warung, their babi was not done guling yet. Prices there are outrageous, way more expensive then the other places I tried, definitely targeted at tourists, not a local in there, that should have been our warning sign, but my wife was getting hangry so we had to compromise.

Pretty much just Waterbom Bali, highly recommended
Best waterpark in Asia by far. Had all sorts of crazy rides, there's a slide where you just stand on a trap door and just free fall for a bit. Like whaaaaat....
Waterbom bali slide


Check out my highlight video to get a glimpse of the thrill rides at the park and also see her do the happy dance again.


In the evening we pigged out at Pork Star, which is a more western take of the pork dishes. with favourites such as bacon wrapped mozzarella, and roasted pork belly with potatoes.

My wife still likes to remind me that we should have ordered a second serving of bacon wrapped cheese sticks.


Pork Star, where the star was the pork.

Patiently waiting for my wife to take a picture. I would've passed the marshmellow test.


After Kuta, we headed up to Ubud for the second part of our island retreat, onwards reader, for more vicarious vacationing!

For the nitty gritty details of the trip, accomodation, where to find the places I went, how I booked what, click here.


For more of my adventures, follow me


Comments

Popular Posts