Hollywoo Tourists, Where Did They Go, Do They Know Things, Let's Find Out; or US 2018, Part I: Los Angeles, Redlands and Joshua Tree

A weird trip, the first of a three part travel entry. With my cousin, without my dearest wife.


The Good



Day 1
Venice, CA
This is the good part, the kind of good that should have lasted the whole trip but didn't.

Because X2 and the Green Lantern rides were closed at Magic Mountain when we visited.
Also, an auto burglary.

This has been a trip 2 years in the making. I come from a family with many cousins and we had been planning to go to the US together.


You know the meme about the travel plans?




Exactly.

So, finally we embark on our 20 hour journey to Los Angeles, just me and one cousin.



Seated separately because we weren't going to pay to select our seats

Touching down in the early afternoon, we made out way to our Airbnb along Lincoln Boulevard.



Venice Garagement

We basically rented the garage which had been converted into a 2 bed studio.

It's about a 10 min drive to Venice Beach, and that's where we headed once we'd changed.


Pretty much just surfed until it was sunset. 

Because it's SoCal, you have to surf.


Triumphant where others failed

Damn, look at that sharp focus and bokeh


lifeguard house


Too ugly, camera censored my face

last of my drone photography, because my drone was stolen


The sun set early because of the season, it was dark by 5.

Decided to head over to the hollywood area for tacos at Guisados then on to Griffith's observatory.

Dinner was bleagh. Reviews touted it as one of the best in LA, but I don't know, wasn't impressed. I suppose the selling point was that the tortillas were hand made. But it was the tortillas that we had problems with. I guess they can be described as "ethnic/ authentic". 


Anyway they were kinda soggy and thick and has a certain je ne sais quoi "aroma" to it. 


Would not recommend.



I ordered a 

Chicharrón, which turned out to be a soggy mess, rest of the toppings were otherwise passable

I guess I'm a Taco Bell kinda guy
Drove up to Griffith's Observatory after, but we were too late and it was already closed and rangers were already chasing people away.

Day 2

Downtown LA

Parking is a bitch. I parked at some out of the way garage (Aiso), rates were 5 dollars for the 1st 3 hours, but if you park for more than that then you are shit out of luck because then it's additional 1.50 for every 15 minutes.

Anyhoo, headed to Grand Central Market, basically a selection of hipster eats. Saw a long queue for Eggslut so we queued too.
Fluffy!



Great scrambled egg sandwich. But is it worth the 40 min wait? Read on to find out!




Yes, it was.

Visited the Bradbury Building of Blade Runner and 500 Days of Summer fame.


The subject


The photographer
Didn't have much time left so we just made our way back to the garage, going by the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Didn't visit the Broad this time, but I got there eventually...



My cousin wanted a James Lakers Jersey so we went over to the Staples Centre. 
Spent more time driving round and round looking for parking then actually being at the Staples Centre.


Denying Magic Johnson
Ah, my favorite mediocre restaurant at a tourist trap
Headed into Koreatown for a sloppy joe's at Dino's Chicken and Burger.

If you live in LA and haven't tried Dino's, I feel sad for you, like Trump sad.
The chilli con carne is the best I've ever tasted on a burger, make the burger extra special by requesting for a fried egg on top.
The fries with the grilled chicken juice and drippings is heavenly, for that I will gladly take my cholesterol medication.





I have no picures of Dino's chili cheese burger ever.
I cannot wait long enough to take a snap shot before wolfing it down.
It is a biological imperative.
It is that good. I would fly to LA, get my car broken into and passport stolen again just for that burger.

In the evening, we decided to cycle to Santa Monica Pier, bikes provided by our AirBnb.




Day 3
Picked up 2 friends and headed to Magic Mountain.





Crazanity!

before sunset

Favourite rides were closed but discovered Full Throttle which sort of made up for it.
Sat on crazanity until queasy.

Went on a Monday in November so it was a ghost town, didn't have to queue for ride, no fast pass needed.
  
Post Magic Mountain, decided to try Original Tommy's chilli cheese burger. Nowhere near Dino's burger. Don't bother.


waiting for our orders
Finally made our way to my cousin's place in Redlands.


Supper at Denny's

squatters



Day 4 

Headed over to Joshua Tree National park. Been there once and fell in love with it. Had a stay in a lovely secluded cabin the last time with my wife.

  

panorama ideas
More of me




walked the Barker Dam trail, surprised to find the dam actually filled


That was the last of the good days.
The next day we packed up and headed over to Las Vegas

Click here for Part 2 of 3 



Nitty Gritty
Click here for the Airbnb listing we stayed at
Click here for a referral code

My one food recommendation in LA
Dino's Chicken and Burger
Address: 2575 Pico Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90006, USA


We got our magic mountain tickets from Klook, seems cheaper
Works with Shopback as well.


For more of my adventures, follow me

Comments

Popular Posts